This condition is a temporary or permanent change in the functioning of one or more areas of the brain. Its occurrence is due to disturbance of cerebral blood circulation and, therefore, oxygen does not reach the brain. Sometimes it can be temporary (ischemic stroke) or permanent (stroke).
People need to know that this condition is the leading cause of death. It is more common in women than in men. People over the age of 70 are more prone to this problem, but young people must also be very careful. It is also the leading cause of long-term disability in Europe.
There are many types of strokes. The ischemic represents 80% of cases. Because of this, people suffer from stroke (where there is necrosis, tissue death), a TIA (transient ischemic attack) in which the symptoms are short-lived. Ischemic strokes are divided into several types, depending on the origin of the thrombus. These are:
- Atherothrombotic stroke (20%). In these cases, a small plaque appears, which over the years forms up to a day to become clogged. And it completely connects an artery.
- Lacunar stroke (25%) which is also known as small vessel
- Cardioembolic stroke (20%). In this situation, atrial fibrillation occurs and the thrombus comes from the heart.
- Cryptogenic stroke: or of undetermined etiology.
- The other 5% are rare, usually from drugs (cocaine or marijuana).
How is a stroke detected? If you are in front of a person suffering from a stroke, you will notice certain signs and symptoms that are very obvious. They must be detected quickly, and give the alarm signal. The signs and symptoms are as follows:
- Most people lose their strength or feel paralysis in their faces, arms, or legs. When we make them make a facial gesture, we will notice that there is an asymmetry, that the arm cannot hold or cannot walk.
- Vertigo, problems with balance or lack of coordination.
- In some cases, it is manifested by a tingling sensation in the arm and/or leg.
- Speech or comprehension difficulties. The person says incomprehensible things, finds it difficult to speak, and may not understand what we are saying.
- Sudden and severe headache.
- And last but not least, it can be manifested by sudden blindness in one eye, blurred vision.